Tuesday, June 12, 2012

National Ahem!

I know there is no right way and no wrong way to be artistic.  I get the notion of artistic license.  I'm just not sure it is always appropriate to reinterpret a sacred symbol during a time-honored tradition.  Case in point: the rampant "artistic" butchering of the national anthem before sporting events.

Can't people just sing it the way it was written?  I know it's hard to hit that last note in "...the land of the free" and I give a "get out of jail free" card for a little creativity there.  But for the rest of it, I think most people should try to sing the original version most of the time.

But they never do.


1 comment:

  1. Jeff Ryer6/13/2012

    I thought your issue was going to be in relation to the flag (the picture)
    Just because you have the right to desecrate the flag, doesn't mean you should.
    I agree, just sing the song like it is meant to be sung, no need to make it your own version or some kind of statement.
    You ever hear a great singer belt out a "normal" version and you just get that tingly feeling. Enough said.

    Where's Boo Hoo when you need him......

    ReplyDelete