Tuesday, June 2, 2020

A Straight, White, Male…


When I was working on a graduate degree in Sociology, I joked with my cohort of fellow students, all members of marginalized groups, that I was probably the only straight, white, male to ever pursue an advanced degree in a field where “inequality” is a central theme. My participation in that program shone a sometimes-harsh light on my consistent membership in the most empowered groups, at every step of my very fortunate life.

I didn’t choose to be straight, or white, or male, but like a fish that is unaware that it lives in water, I grew up oblivious to many of the subtle advantages that membership in these groups had afforded me. I was always grateful for my good health, my loving relationships, and my opportunities for education, but I was blissfully unaware of the systematic advantages that sometimes favored me more than they favored members of other groups.

I first realized these circumstances during a summer when I was offered an internship at a fairly progressive company, along with about forty other students from around the country. We were all boarded in a modern apartment complex and each paired with a roommate. Mine was a polite and soft-spoken Political Science major from Northwestern University. He was also a 6’2”, Division I football player, and he was black.

Along with a group of the other interns, he and I would often go out after work for dinner or drinks. I was flabbergasted on many occasions to observe that, in public, a great many ignorant but otherwise well-meaning people, instinctively viewed him as a threat. One time, while waiting in the lobby of a Chicago high rise in our sharpest business suits, he asked me if white women nervously clutched their purses when I entered an elevator. For dramatic effect, he had posed this question just as our elevator arrived. As we stepped in, his impact on the other passengers was unmistakably clear; two middle-aged women noted his presence, drew their purses close, and stepped subtly away. I shook my head in silent wonder as I contemplated how a lifetime of subconscious "unwelcome" signs could affect a person's attitudes and opportunities. 

On many occasions that summer, when confronted with more overt racism, my roommate and his black friends would laugh incredulously at my obvious surprise. It was the first time that I realized the palpable and enduring reality of racism in the US. They couldn't believe I hadn't noticed it before.

In the time since, I’ve thought often about what I learned that summer. It was one of the reasons that I chose to further study Sociology. But, other than making an effort to sensitize my children to subtle forms of racism, I’ve really done nothing to help. I am a white guy, silently enjoying my station, going about my daily existence, perpetually comfortable with the status quo.  In the words of the movement, I am “part of the problem”.

I don’t know the solution, but behavioral science experts agree that the first step in resolving complex problems is to “recognize” the presence of the problem. Maybe the recent unrest triggered by the murder of George Floyd will move us collectively closer to the recognition that portions of our law enforcement and justice systems harbor some long lingering biases. 

But to be clear, George Floyd is not the story. He is just the current cover of an unfinished book that opened during the era of slavery and has added a page each day since. The book depicts an epic tragedy that, hopefully, will one day climax and resolve. My question is: are we moving closer to that day, or are too many of us like fish in water, oblivious to the only environment that our empowered majority groups have ever known?

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for publishing this Dennis. I am replying on the blog vs on Facebook so you have proof of one reader - LOL! And a comment on the blog might help boost your SEO metrics - you can thank me later.

    Like so many of us who grew up in rural Maine we didn't know what we didn't know until we left (either via school or travel). You make an excellent point in suggesting that our privilege makes it possible to continue not knowing or to put it in a positive light -- our privilege paired with open-minded curiosity offers endless opportunities to learn.

    My first opportunity to "know" came in High School when I participated in an Exchange program to France and stayed with a large extended family of immigrants from the Congo in a public housing project outside of Paris. I had never been near a housing project in my life so that was definitely something new. The family was warm and loving but my textbook French and their real person French often left me confused about just who lived in the apartment and who just stopped by for a visit. On one of my first days with my host family my host mom was re-braiding one of the younger girls very long hair. They were peacefully and patiently sitting in front of the tv doing what mothers and daughters have always done but to my eyes it looked like the Mom was literally pulling the girls hair out of her head braid by braid. I mutely gaped at this process for a good long while trying to figure out how the girl could calmly the pain of having her hair removed. I am sure my silence and shock confirmed the family's worst fears that something was very off with their pasty white house guest. I didn't have the vocabulary to ask what was happening which probably spared me from a very embarrassing conversation but after staring at the situation for far too long I figured out that the girl had extensions that were only braided into her actual shorter hair! I treasure this first bit of learning and find my own naivite quite funny but there were several not so funny incidents that followed -- I was the only US student out of about 10 staying with a black family who lived in the projects. My host sister and I were not invited to join the other students and their families as they did the traditional activities you do with an Exchange student. The family did not have a car so I spent most of my empty days learning to navigate the city bus system so I could get to smaller towns surrounding the city. This skill has served me well in life but at the time it was new and scary for a girl from rural Maine. I could go on and on about the strange landscape I found myself in but in short it was not the trip I dreamed of while slowly banking two years of babysitting money but it's the trip I was meant to take.

    Fast forward 28 years (yikes that doesn't seem possible and makes me feel old!) and I live in one of the most diverse cities in the world by choice and continue learning every day as the Mom to one son with white skin and one son with brown skin. When they aren't rolling their eyes at how lame their parents are, they both call me Mom. Someday, if I don't mess up too badly, I may write a book about the learnings and heartbreak that come with being a family like ours but the boys are just 12 and 13 and I feel like that story is really just beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Kristy - I had never heard any details about your time in France. It is cliche to say that "travel is an education", but the supporting evidence is pretty strong!

      Delete
  2. Good post. I also grew up in a remote, all-white small town and had similar eye-opening experiences starting in college. It does require empathy to see and understand these things. Not everybody has empathy. Now, I am married to an African American woman, with an adult son who look like a young Jimi Hendrix. A few years ago, while our son was home for spring break from his Ivy League university where he was pursuing a BS degree, he was taking a nostalgic stroll through our neighborhood, reminiscing about the childhood stuff he did there, and a new neighbor up the street who doesn't know our family called the police, reporting a "strange black man" walking through the neighborhood, and it appears that he's looking in garages for something to steal. The reality is that our son, raised in an affluent suburb, private schools, Ivy League engineering degree, could find himself on the wrong end of that confrontation is sobering.

    Fortunately, he was home when the police showed up at our door, as part of going door-to-door to inform neighbors of the reported stranger danger. When the officer saw our son, who matched the description of the perp (polo shirt, khaki shorts pulled too high in classic nerd style, absent expression on his face like most 20-something young men lost in thought), the officer apologized, realizing at once what had occurred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this story. I am sorry that your family had this experience. It's important that people realize that this happens all too often.

      Delete
    2. sobering reality... thanks for the commentary!

      Delete