Sunday, February 18, 2024

5-Day Run

Here is a brief description of a consecutive 5-day run of events that likely mean very little to anyone other than me.  That's the beauty of imaginary readers, I need never worry if my writing means anything to anyone else.

Feb 10 - The start of the Chinese New Year: Not a cause for major celebration among non-Asian descendants in the US, but kind of a big deal in Asia. I came to appreciate the Chinese calendar when I lived in Hong Kong, especially the Year of the Dragon. I recall being surprised at how being "a dragon" afforded me a degree of admiration that I did nothing to deserve other than being born in a particular year.

Feb 11 - The Super Bowl: Kind of a special day in America, especially for football fans but not only for football fans. I found myself home alone with a bowl of chips, a tub of guacamole, and a couple of cold beers. It was a good game and a great start to the Year of the Dragon!

Feb 12 - Lincoln/Darwin birthdays: Probably my two favorite historical figures, born on exactly the same day in history, separated only by a couple of hours and a few thousand miles.  Lincoln was a political mastermind at one of the most contentious times in US history, and laudably favored the people over any self-interest. Darwin was brilliant scientist who bravely championed empirical evidence over  the religious orthodoxy of the time. I always think of them both on 2/12.

Feb 13 - My 25th Wedding Anniversary: A milestone worth noting. We got lots of congratulatory messages, we went out to dinner, exchanged gifts, and saw a show. We discussed taking a trip but knew we would be pretty worn out from celebrating Lincoln and Darwin, so that's on hold for the time being.

Feb 14 - Saint Valentines Day: Everyone knows this one... no editorial necessary. 

Not sure if/when another prolonged streak of special days will hit, but I'll be sure to blog about it should one occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment