Monday, January 11, 2010

Add McGwire to the List

This isn't really surprising in terms of whether or not Big Mac was a user but the announcement and public airing of details was apparently unexpected. He will probably sleep better tonight than he has in years.

You all know where I stand on this. I don't applaud cheating or lying about it but I maintain that steroids cannot help a hitter learn the strike zone, recognize pitches, or make decisions at the plate. As far as I know, there is also no evidence that steroids improve hand-eye coordination or timing. I just don't think they really help hitting much, especially if the hitters are facing juiced pitchers.

I am glad he came clean and we have taken another step toward ending the entire conversation about who did and who did not use banned substances. We still have a ways to go but this was a good step.

No comments:

Post a Comment