Thursday, April 16, 2009

End of an Era

One thing I always wish I had not taken for granted when it was around was the brilliance of Howard Cosell as a sports broadcaster. I've felt this way for many years, imagining that if I could do it over, I would tune in, take note, and appreciate his skill and creativity as a communicator. If only I could go back in time, I would not be sleeping at the wheel when there was something so worthy to appreciate.

While driving to work today I heard the news that I have indeed been asleep at the same wheel that I kicked myself for sleeping at during Cosell's reign. Now John Madden is done. He retired yesterday. There is no way to ever again hear him calling a live football game.

Thank goodness for the NFL network where I can probably tune into a Madden-called game at least once a week if I wish.

I'll keep this post short because I think the Dodgers are on TV and I want to go soak up a performance by Vin Sculley before he moves on as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment