Following last night's post on the prettiest play in baseball, my imaginary inbox has virtually overflowed with opinions. Let me set the record straight about the top 5 prettiest plays:
1. This has already been covered; it's the 3-6-1 DP with Micky Lolich on the mound. I once saw him hit a triple and thought that Lou Brock could have circled the bases two times before Micky lumbered into third.
2. Clearly, the second prettiest play is the 1-2-6 strike-em-out throw-em-out double play.
3. Our top offensive entry on the list is the hit and run with a right handed hitter grounding through the hole vacated by a 2nd baseman covering the steal.
4. I always love the bases loaded double play on an infield grounder that leads to a force play at home and a throw-out at first. I guess the 5-2-3 is the prettiest.
5. Duh, it's the suicide squeeze. But only when it works.
There you have it. No need to email me your pablum about run-downs and pick-offs and triple plays; they are all interesting but rarely pretty.