Sunday, August 2, 2009

No Thanks for the KISS

In addition to the fact that I am down on forced acronyms, I really dislike the old "Keep It Simple Stupid" (KISS) execution. My problem is that I don't think the world can really agree on the meaning of "simple".

Case in point. I think naming an electronic file is a pretty simple thing. I also think that storing an electronic file in a defined location on my computer or online is simple. Apparently though, many would disagree.

To that end, Microsoft and others have labored to make file naming and storing happen automatically in many instances. Like today when I attached my camera to the computer so that I could carefully sort several hundred photos from the past few months into my clean data file structure where all of our photos are collated chronologically.

However, in my current version of Vista, all of the photos were grabbed, stripped of their date information, downloaded to the computer in an oddly named and mysteriously located folder, and uploaded to Snapfish whether I wanted them there or not.

The whole process sure was simple. I just had to wait for it to play out so that I could then manually do it the way I wanted before back-tracking through the KISS process to clean up the electronic garbage created by all that simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment