Monday, August 10, 2009

Spider Season


It's official...spider season has arrived at my house. Happens every year about this time. Let me take a moment to describe how my day will now begin, each day, for the next several weeks.

I will get up and shower, dress for a day at the office, have breakfast with my family, and strut out the front door filled with energy and optimism. Just as the front door closes behind me, I will inadvertently thrust my face into a large spider web that gets woven each night just outside my front door. The strands of this web will be exceptionally course and sticky and will completely envelop my head. Somewhere, a spider will groan about another night's labor wasted by the energetic human who refuses to exit through the side door.

Honestly, I can't understand how this keeps happening. If it were the same spider building that web each night, it surely would have starved to death by now. It seems unlikely a different spider finds that spot and weaves there each night. It's a mystery. Yet, a new web is there every morning (until about 7:30am when I tear it down with my head).

You would think I could learn to expect this ordeal and duck when I exit the house but, apparently, I cannot. This cycle has been ongoing for several years and no learning has accrued from my experience.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8/10/2009

    Perhaps the spiders have alternative food sources and simply view this as their daily entertainment - Reitrof

    ReplyDelete